Work with us
BlueLight Commercial will be headquartered in Birmingham, though the majority of staff will work virtually across the country. The aim remains to establish an agile, regionally based structure with successful applicants largely remaining where they are currently based.
Over time the organisation will include analysts, implementors and specialists along with in-house support for legal, operational and administrative issues. Members of the police commercial community will be able to apply for roles within the organisation either on secondment or as permanent employees.
Head of Capability
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
Responsible for: Development of Commercial skills
Salary: £50,000- £72,000 dependent on experience
Hours: Full time (37 hours per week)
Employment: Fixed term until March 2023 (with the potential to be extended)
Closing date to apply: Friday 14 August
Established in response to the joint Association of Police and Crime Commissioners and National Police Chiefs’ Council Policing Vision 2025 report, BlueLight Commercial is a newly formed organisation providing support in relation to a range of areas including commercial, procurement, shared services, data-analysis and market intelligence for policing in England and Wales.
As a membership organisation, we will work together to pool our collective purchasing power and influence and change markets to create better solutions and services for policing. Our aim is to be the ‘go to’ organisation for policing (and in time fire services) by introducing best practice, improving quality and interoperability across a range of procurement and commercial categories and services.
We are a police-led organisation which aims to sustain the ongoing delivery of savings and encourage and embed greater commercial collaboration across England and Wales, at both regional and national levels. We will represent a single voice to the market to deliver value to stakeholders through expert and data-led commercial activities.
The Capability Manager is central to this newly formed organisation. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, you will be responsible for the continuous professional development, learning and development activities in BLC and the wider policing community.
You will be responsible for outlining the commercial life cycle capability standards and skills development options. You will provide the commercial capability framework which supports the delivery of value and sustainable benefits aligned to the policing vision 2025.
Working with stakeholders across government and policing you will design a roadmap which meets policing commercial service and spend deliverables including career paths and succession opportunities.
- Benchmarking current commercial standards across Government and private sector to provide a capability framework aligned to spend review and policing vision 2025 for use in policing, fire and any third party bodies who take commercial services from BLC.
- Lead on the development and delivery of the organisational learning and development strategy.
- Identify and source training solutions and mentoring processes for commercial staff and those engaging in commercial activities such as contract management for professional development, transformational skills, leadership and stakeholder management.
- Assess current and future organisation capability needs and readiness across a range of stakeholder groups who conduct activities across the commercial lifecycle; including category management and contract performance management.
- Scope and plan activity in the capability framework, ensuring that the BLC team has the transformational commercial capability it needs to make a step change using collaborative approaches for commercial activities and tools for delivering and exceeding targets.
- Work with the key stakeholders to ensure that the capability framework and development programmes can fully support the policing needs.
- Build and leverage a network of relationships with current and future influencers and stakeholders and provide continuous learning opportunities.
- Use a wide range of influencing styles and strategies to secure commitment both across and outside your organisation.
- Working innovatively with external partners to develop interventions to improve and enhance commercial capabilities, sourcing and developing specialist third party providers as required.
- Develop best practice processes and communications from both internal and external practices aligned to business risks to anticipate the next future commercial supply chain trends.
- Assess the effectiveness of engagement and development initiatives towards the learning and development strategy.
- Lead on Talent identification and development through designing and implementing job families, outlining talent strategy and concepts, highlighting key positions and defining career path profiles. Identify key roles in the succession plan, measuring candidates readiness for progression and supporting the design of development plans.
- Design KPI suite as part of balanced score card for capability and skills improvement including baselining and target setting.
- Excellent stakeholder management, ability to influence and manage a range of senior stakeholders to shape strategy.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to build effective business relationships.
- Prior experience of designing and developing capability frameworks and development approaches that are aligned to business needs.
- Experience of identifying and developing commercial and leadership development interventions.
- Project management experience across complex organisational or legal structures.
- Experience of reviewing training / learning and development providers and negotiating the provider depending on business need.
- Experience of skills gap analysis and competency model review, analysis and refresh.
- Development and delivery of continuous improvement projects.
- Experience of capability development planning to support people transition within a wider transformational change context.
- Experience in running cross functional teams.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Enthusiastic with high level of self-motivation.
- Knowledge of lean tools and techniques.
- Knowledge of benchmarking and target setting.
- A relevant commercial or business qualification such as CIPS.
- CIPs qualified.
- A relevant Human Resource or business qualification such as CIPD.
- Some experience of policy and planning.
- Experience of running lean projects.
- Talent Management experience.
This is a unique opportunity to join a new organisation to play an important role in making a real difference to communities across England and Wales.
To apply for the role please submit your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com by Friday 14 August.
The successful applicant will be subject to appropriate medical screening and vetting.
Interviews will take place online via Microsoft Teams w/c Monday 24 August.